Pastoral Care at LPC: What does “right” look like
by Rev. Randy Fannin and Mike Schneider
In the Army when someone is asked or tasked to complete a mission, the next question is usually, “What does right look like?” In other words, with so much on the line, “how will I know when I’ve done what has been asked of me?”
In the church, there are high expectations for carrying out the commandments and commission of our Lord and Savior. They are not intended to be burdensome, but it is serious business. Losing anyone is a loathsome prospect. Thus, we depend greatly on the commitment of each person engaged in mission, and use our resources to make sure everyone involved is educated, equipped, and energized to represent the Lord Jesus well in our care for each other.
In Acts 6, Luke tells us about the growing concern in the early church for the practical needs of God’s people. The Apostles gathered with the disciples and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the Word of God in order to wait on tables. [So] choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the Word. This proposal pleased the whole group . . . .”
Each Fall, we all have an opportunity to nominate those from among us who we believe will caringly and effectively meet the practical needs of our church family as new Deacons. But, what does right look like?
Expectations for LPC Deacons:
1. Attend Monthly Deacon meetings on the 2nd Monday at 7 p.m.
2. Willing to Lead one of the 13 Ministry Teams during your 3 year term
3. Assist as an active servant on other Deacon Ministry Teams
4. Offer the Prayers Of The People during worship at least once/year
5. Routinely serve as a Greeter prior to the Worship services
6. Lead the opening devotional during the monthly Deacon meetings
7. Lead the closing prayer during the monthly Deacon Meetings
8. Be willing to volunteer on additional activities where Deacons are asked to serve
Helping Hands (Financial Assistance)
College & Military